Monday, January 12, 2009

"Little Jazz Bird" by Glad

And a big HT to reader Stuart for suggesting imeem as a source of Glad clips. I'd been looking all over Youtube for a good recording of "Little Jazz Bird," but with no luck. (I didn't like the ones that were there, and of course they didn't have Glad.) Here is Glad's. I hope Gershwin won't be turning in his grave if I say that this song is absolutely adorable. It would be a lot of fun if some professional child singer had recorded it long ago--like Shirley Temple or somebody. The imeem clip is only missing a little bit at the end.


Little Jazz Bird - GLAD

8 comments:

William Luse said...

Enjoyed that more than anticipated. Reminds me of a group I used to love, the Manhattan Transfer.

Lydia McGrew said...

My guess, Bill, is that if you like Gershwin at all, your preference is probably for "Rhapsody in Blue" and "An American in Paris."

William Luse said...

I love Gershwin. Eventually I'm going to post a video of Elizabeth dancing to one of his pieces.

Lydia McGrew said...

Which one?

William Luse said...

Jeez, I can't remember the title, but you'll probably know it when you hear it. The ballet piece is called "Copacetic", but I'm sure that's not the name of the music.

Richard D said...

William - my wife and I saw the Manhattan Transfer in an open-air concert at Wolftrap Theater. It was outstanding. They are an amazingly talented singing group.

William Luse said...

I wonder if they're still working. I never see them anymore.

Richard D said...

I haven't heard from them recently either, but the keyboard player in my band recently got a Manhattan Transfer sample set for his keyboard. Now when he plays a chord it is sung by the Manhattan Transfer. They are using an "ooh" or "ah" sound, depending on how hard he presses the keys, and if he hits the keys in a quick staccato, they sing, "Bop!"