Sunday, February 24, 2013

Be Not Afraid

The cry of the papacy of John Paul II was "Be not afraid!" It's an encouragement that Christians need. We're certainly not immune to fear, and especially not now in such uncertain times. My heart goes out to my brethren in the Catholic communion today as Benedict has resigned and as they await the news of who the new pope is to be.

But whether Protestant or Catholic, all of us as Christians are tempted to worry and fear at times.

In another of my oddball attempts to bring together southern gospel music and liturgical Christianity, I want to match JPII's exhortation "Be not afraid!" with this song by the justly famed late gospel pianist Roger Bennett--"Don't Be Afraid."



(Do click and watch the song soon, because many of these Youtube videos of Gaither-distributed music are being pulled or blocked, and a lot of my old gospel music post are now sadly music-less.)

This song had to grow on me. At first it seemed a little too loud and repetitive, but now it moves me greatly, perhaps because I've seen it in conjunction with Roger's testimony about his cancer, which comes on the same video. I hope to feature that in a later post.

Christian, don't be afraid.

2 comments:

Mr Veale said...

I can't think of anything more noble and sane than bringing together southern gospel music and liturgical Christianity.

Graham

Lydia McGrew said...

Thank you, Graham. I'm inclined to think so too. We have so many riches. St. Paul says to the Corinthians, "All things are yours." I think that applies here.