Thursday, December 09, 2010

The foodies and me, we finally agree

All my many fans who have followed all of my blogging for five years or so, going all the way back to the defunct Right Reason (okay, so there aren't that many of those) will know that I am not a foodie nor a Crunchy Conservative. I start grinding my teeth when people make disparaging remarks about "capitalist food." Either that, or I laugh and start cheering loudly for "capitalist food." On Facebook recently I was listing all the wonderful canned and pre-made goods I used for Thanksgiving, gloating over how much easier it made my life and how great it all tasted. I cannot stand food snobbery, and I just about burst a blood vessel when reading, some years ago, a silly and pompous piece by a well-respected philosopher, which everyone else read with "oohs" and "aahs," in which he kept using the word "burger stuffer." He's a Brit, and I'm sure you can all guess of whom I speak. I had a John Wayne-ish desire to get out a gun and say, "Who are you calling a burger stuffer, Mr. Snooty Accent?"

Okay, so now that I've established my modern and tough-guy anti-foodie credentials, let me just say here and now that this is ridiculous and that I hope the new Congress in January stops it or reverses it. A blatant power grab by bigger companies over small companies. And the "Center for Science in the Public Interest" and other so-called consumer watchdog groups can go jump in the lake. Let's not further federalize food regulation in the U.S.--as if we don't have enough federal regulations already.

So the foodies and I are probably at one on this one. Down with the anti-locavore food act, aka the Food Safety Modernization Act! Down with it, I say!

4 comments:

Todd McKimmey said...

Apparently it's OK with many foodies when the Tester-Hagan amendment is in. I know some of our local 'localvore' foodies did a complete 180 when Tester-Hagan was added.

William Luse said...

If you don't make your own cranberry sauce you're missing something. We bought the cranberries from a capitalist grocery store, however.

I'll read the article when I get back.

Lydia McGrew said...

Looks like there's more than one version of the Tester amendment, and the one that got inserted in the Senate is not, perhaps, the one that the foodies think it is. All I'm going on so far is this article, but here's what it says:

"Senate leaders have now reportedly accepted a watered-down version of the Tester amendment, which does not by any means exempt small producers from federal regulatory control — they will face plenty of it — but at least nods toward the principle of “tiering” burdens."

Lydia McGrew said...

Bill, I know this sounds weird, but my kids think the cranberry sauce that is shaped like the can is cool _because_ it is shaped like the can. Naturally, I'm not arguing, but there you have it: Capitalist kids to the max.