Saturday, February 06, 2010

"No Other Name But Jesus" and "He Touched Me"

It had been so long since I heard this song that at first I told Eldest Daughter that I didn't know it. How could I have forgotten?

Steve Green praises the name of Jesus:



It led me to reflect on the phenomenon of hand-raising. In the churches in which I was raised, hand-raising was a no-no. Way too Pentecostal. (Though it has Scriptural warrant in 2 Timothy 2:8.) The hand-lifting you see in the Gaither band reunion represents what I might call the evangelical compromise. Nobody gets up and starts dancing around. It's not a "me" thing, but it is a way of using one's posture and body to express praise to God. The nearest Anglican or traditional Catholic equivalent, I suppose, is kneeling. But that is different, too. Just interesting to reflect on.

Next, a beloved oldie, with a group put together by Gaither only at the reunion:



I hear some guy named Elvis also covered this one once...

3 comments:

William Luse said...

I like the second one a lot.

Mary Fuller said...

Hey Lydda, wanna come visit me at the end of August? Larnelle Harris and Steve Green will be at our church, and our choir and orchestra will be working with them. I can't wait!! They are my two favorite male vocalists, well, until I met my worship pastor, David Loftis.

Lydia McGrew said...

Oh, man, I'd better not tell Eldest Daughter...

That is so cool. How in the world did your church get those guys to come? Is it just a really big church?