Wednesday, September 22, 2010

But for Wales?

From A Man for All Seasons:
Thomas More: There is one question I would like to ask the witness.                     
(To Richard Rich) That's a chain of office you're wearing.
May I see it? The red dragon. What's this?

Cromwell: Sir Richard is appointed Attorney General for Wales.

More: For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his
soul for the whole world.

But for Wales?
I realize that I appear to be have been living in a cave for the past year or two, but I just recently learned that Douglas Kmiec, the "Catholic pro-lifer" who so ardently and suavely supported Barack Obama through his presidential campaign and beyond, has been appointed U.S. Ambassador to Malta.

5 comments:

Jeff Culbreath said...

http://katakaminewsindonesia.wordpress.com/2010/09/21/u-s-ambassador-to-malta-douglas-kmiec-reflects-on-car-crash-which-killed-priest-and-religious-sister/

Prof. Kmiec just recently survived a car crash in California, in which a priest and a nun were killed.

Lydia McGrew said...

I knew about the car crash but hadn't realized it had been quite so recent. I did not mean to be particularly insensitive by putting this up just at this time in relation to the car crash. This just happened to be when I learned about his appointment as ambassador.

Kmiec's support for Obama has been unconscionable. His abuse of the concept of being "pro-life" was disgusting. And he even wrote defending Obama's reversing the Mexico City policy. Kmiec has abused his own mind, conscience, and reason, as well as the previous respect he held among conservative intellectuals in America, to engage in teaching designed to lead others to support Barack Obama while considering themselves "pro-life," thus being guilty of scandal as well. He has engaged in sophistry again and again on this subject.

And it seems pretty obvious that he received this appointment to Malta as a tame Catholic whom some people would still call "conservative," despite everything. Very clever of the administration. A sad comment on Kmiec.

I'm sorry it sounds harsh, but my reaction to the news of the crash is to hope, for his own sake, that it will lead him to repentance.

William Luse said...

The priest was his confessor. I'll bite my lip out of respect for the dead.

Anonymous said...

Yep. When we first heard of the appointment, there were a few "But for Malta?" comments around the Catholosphere.

Lydia McGrew said...

Thanks, Romish Graffiti. I know I'm coming to that info. late, but I certainly don't regret making the comment.